Monday, May 28, 2007

And I made a speech too!!

I promise this is the final post about the wedding...I know I have spread The Day across several posts, but it has been good for me to think and reflect back on it and share it with you - makes me appreciate what a lovely day it was, full of memories.....


We did the speeches before the meal, as is the modern way now, so that pre-speech nerves don't spoil the day for the speakers, and they can relax and enjoy their meal.


Clive began as Father of the Bride, very nervous, as he is not a natural public speaker...but as he confidently told everyone Laura had burst into our lives with a bang (yes, I exploded...) on Guy Fawkes night 1986..Laura interrupted to correct him with, 'It was 1980 dad...' which, as you can imagine, brought the house down....


Mec was next, reading from his note cards and telling everyone he was a crap speech write and giver..but he was actually very good....(I digress..a few months ago he had been at our house talking to Amy, James' girlfriend, and I was stunned to overhear him telling her that the one thing she needed to know about our family was that we ate a lot of broccoli, and she had better get a liking for it, cos it's practically all we eat. Apparently he used to hate it, but he has got used to it now.....I was amazed that of all the wonderful things he could have told her about our family, that was it......)


Anyway, blow me, during his speech he thanked me and Clive for welcoming him into the family...and he told the broccoli story, which made everyone laugh...he set it up beautifully..so when the waitress approached the top table with Mec's dinner, and another waitress followed behind carrying a plate covered with a napkin, I was able to share what I thought would be a private joke I had set up..I stood, banged my knife on my glass for attention, and announced, 'Ladies and gentlemen, we are pleased to welcome Mec into the family with his own personal plate of broccoli.' There was a round of applause and Mec was speechless to have a whole plate of broccoli set before him!!!!


Boz, the best man, gave an excellent speech, telling the two very amusing stories of how Mec first met Laura, and then the story of his proposal to her in New York..before telling them they were obviously crazy about each other, made for each other, and wished them love and life long happiness...


I smiled all day, I was happy all day, until the lights dimmed and Laa and Mec stepped on to the floor to begin the First Dance...then I was suddenly really choked, and after a few moments, had to slip out and have a cry..outside I found my brother's son, a lvoely young man, only 22...when he saw me he gave me a huge, huge hug, and said he couldn't believe that the little tom-boy cousin he used to play with was all grown up and married...him and me both....


7 comments:

Kathryn said...

Oh sweetie! That's the sort of thing that makes me cry too..she says, damply. Hard enough dealing with the uni departures, but the next step...
Hugs and thanks for sharing the wedding story with us; it has been lovely to hear it xx

Disillusioned said...

Thank you for sharing your day with us all. The photos are all gorgeous.

Rainbow dreams said...

The day sounds truly wonderful - thank you for sharing it, fantastic memories and beautiful photos, x

Rainbow dreams said...

Hi Sally, missing your posts and hope all's ok, Katie

Merlin said...

When you said final post about the wedding we didn't realise you meant final post ever. Hope you are OK.

Kathryn said...

As above....getting quite anxious now, love xx

Disillusioned said...

Adding my own "missing you" post...
Caroline C