Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Re Advent Calendars......


Further to the blog by Liz about advent calendars, I think I had them as a child but no chocolate, and I always bought one for James and Laura and they had to take it in turns to open the windows......why on earth I didn't pay another 50p and buy two to spare the rows, arguing and fighting that went with cries of 'It's not fair, it was my turn, he/she opened it yesterday,' and the tears, I don't know, I obviously thought learning to share was character building (It obviously worked, look at them now, Ed).

When they left home and went to Uni, I used to send them an advent calendar every year, a big one containing chocolate that was a nightmare to post, but it had to be done. I have continued every year.....last year Laura had one that had to be built into a 3D stable, and the chocolates were in the roof, it was bloody massive......

This year I bought three, one for Laura and Mec, one each for James and Hilary, and I found a lovely shop in St Albans that sold tasteful lovely Medici advent calendars that were small cards, with lovely traditional scenes on, just right for posting to now grown up children. I popped them in their envelopes to post, but then met up with Laura for Christmas shopping.

I handed her the small red envelope, and she said, 'Oh, thanks, is this my Christmas card, that's early!' 'No,' I said, 'It's your advent calendar.' The double take she did at the envelope and the short silence that ensued, well she might as well have had a thought bubble over her head which said, 'Oh, no chocolate then.' After a pause she said, 'Oh thank you.'

As she was due to meet up with James, I gave her the other two to deliver. So far, no-one has said thank you. I can only assume an advent calendar without chocolate isn't worth saying thank you for, or Laura thought it wasn't actually worth delivering........

No comments: