Sunday, March 26, 2006

And the end of the AA story is.....

..just to finish off...I texted the lvoely Liz from the back of the truck, 'hello I have just been rescued by the AA after an hour and a half in the cold and rain' kind of text, cos I know it is my duty to amuse and entertain. My mobile phone rang immediately, and when I answered, all I could hear was hysterical laughter. Cheers for your concern, darling.

I rang the hotel and explained our late arrival (eta past 10pm) and asked about food, given that my last taste (apart from half a toffee crisp - see blog)was a couple of sandwiches at 12 noon before the committee meeting. They said (predictably) that they stopped serving at 9pm, but they would save some food for us. When I staggered into the bar at almost 10.30pm, and ordered a coffee, they brought out some beef and cheese and pickle sandwiches. Great. Just what I always wanted.

I got M a pint of beer when he came in after dealing with 'Still no rush' AA man in the car park, and we sat on a comfy sofa, and they re-lit the electric log fire, bless them, and we ate our sandwiches and looked at each other. 'We could have been killed.' said M. Exactly. Praise be that we had not been snuffed out in the middle of a motorway, in the dark, in a car that wouldn't go, surrounded by large and fast lorries. Instead we made it to the hard shoulder, and had simply been mildly inconvenienced. M looked at me. 'Sorry' he said. 'Sorry?' I replied. 'Nothing to say sorry for, I have had a brilliant evening - you shared your toffee crisp.'

Post script: It was my birthday on the Friday, and M and V dropped off two presents. One was a matchbox model of the exact AA tow truck, and the other was..a toffee crisp. Bless.

5 comments:

Rainbow dreams said...

I'm pleased it had a happy ending :-)

Kathryn said...

Oh Sally.......how DO you manage it???
and why didn't I know it was your birthday (same day as WonderfulVicar's, so I should know from now on). Hope bits of it were good, bits brilliant and the iffy parts were definitely in the minority.
Love and hugs for the year ahead xxxx

1 i z said...

Can I just state in mitigation that I did also comment that you should have texted me earlier and I could have brough hot drinks etc to you on the hard shoulder.

Once I'd stopped laughing of course.

And reading that bit about falling "Mrs Doyle style" out of the cab, had me in stitches again!

I do love the way you tell these stories - I vote you should get a job as a columnist for a newspaper.

But for now, I'm glad we get to read your blog (and can only apologise if it appears we laugh at your misfortune...but it really is the way you tell them).

LVOE YOU!!!

Rachel said...

I agree - you must blog more often - it's wonderful to hear how you're life is going.

And I'm sorry, your great description of events had me laughing (to some odd looks at work!) while also feeling bad for you! It's the way you tell 'em! Could just hear you getting up, straigtening your clothes and saying "more tea, father?"!!!

Hope your birthday was good - seems you got some thoughtful presents!

Love you.

Rach xx

Caroline said...

still giggling....