Tuesday, November 08, 2005

A bizarre evening...

I forgot to mention it! Last week I went out with Rosemarie - we had the usual pasta first, then bought coffee and sweets at the cinema, and settled down to watch first, the adverts, then the trailers, then, as the film was about to start, the screen went black, the lights came on and a disembodied voice announced..'Ladies and gentleman, due to circumstances beyond our control....' and I was up and out my seat ready to go, recognising an evacuation when I see one. 'How did you know?' said Rosemarie. 'You are so calm.' 'Happens all the time' I said, 'Either at GB or the theatre, don't panic.'

We joind the masses exiting the complex, cinema, restaurants and shops, and all stood around wondering what was happening. I spotted a lake of water moving across the MacDonalds floor, and guessed the Incident was in there. Suddnely we heard fire engines, and three sets of lights coming into the car park, and I realised that the fire engines would arrive just where all the people were standing about! A few self conscious student types working at the cinema were given yellow jackets, and stood about half heartedly asking epople to move but we just ignored them. It was more exciting to stand in the way of the firemen in breathing apparatus, between the road and the restaurant. One student had 'Manager' on the back of her yellow jacket, and she even had a loud hailer, but didn't attempt to use it.

No announcements were made, no attempt to move people out the way, and no-one said that the cinema would not reopen, a fact I deduced after watching the yellow jackets giving out free cinema tickets to people. It was calm, peaceful and yet chaotic. 'Oh if only I had a yellow jacket' I said to Rosemarie, 'I could have this crowd moved in an instant.'

Just imagine if a certain David had been at the cinema with me...do you think I could have restrained him from getting involved?

As it was we collected our free tickets and went back a few nights later and saw Nanny McPhee. Highly entertaining . And Colin Firth is always worth watching......

2 comments:

1 i z said...

I can picture the scene...and later that night the student/manager would regale her flatmates with the tale:

"...and then this odd looking bloke with a beard, relieved me of the loudhailer and started trying to organise everyone. He said something about being 'silver control' and "had I spoken to Norm yet?". Fortunately the nice lady that was with him, came and rescued me...I think she must have been his carer or something..."

Caroline said...

lololololololololol
but at least if David was there the manager would have had a wallet to nick from lost property