Thursday, September 06, 2007

A week in pictures.....


So much to say, so little time.....so the pictures tell the stories....leaving the race course on Wednesday, later than we meant to (there's a surprise....) DC decided to try and escape by going under the tunnel by the Arkl bar..not sure the caravan would fit..there are 3 concrete lintels under the roof...got under the first comfortably...then he asked me to get out and see if we would clear the second..well, I did, and we were..with an inch or two to spare..slowly he moved forward..yes, fine, keep going..but then the ramp under the arch goes up hill, it's not flat, and as the landy went uphill, the caravan got higher....the air con unit on the top of the caravan actually touched the arch but just got under...yes, we made it..then there was this kind of popping, cracking noise: and it appeared that the lintel had actually pressed on the unit as the van moved under it, and compressed the roof...as the roof popped back up, the air con unit was suddenly much higher than the lintel, and would very obviously not clear the third lintel... as the roadway was up hill, less clearance etc etc...
So DC jumps out of the caravan and sees what I can see..caravan stuck between two lintels, no way of going forward, no way of going back... 'But there was clearance, it did get under...' I start to say, and I get 'the look.' Oh no, all my fault. I did say, let's not go this way, let's go out the C*ntaur gate, but he didn't listen.....

Suddenly, as if by magic, Site Crew appear from all over the place, laughing like drains, C*llen has got his caravan stuck, best entertainment of the festival..DC is not finding it funny, and it looks like I am in Big Trouble.. I try anad say again, it was going under, fine, I didn't realise that as it met the roof as you went up hill, it was compressing the roof.... suddenly a guy loading a van round the corner appears.. 'Yes, mate, I was watching, it did clear, it did go under, until half way, then it seemd like it was just touching..she's right...' I could have hugged him....
Site Crew blokies and DC start discussions about how to get caravan out..my ideas get drowned in the blokiness of it all, and 'Well, mate, what you need to do is..' and I am ignored and decide to keep out of it..I do keep saying we have to go backewards down hill, tho, not forwards uphill..finally DC hears and agrees....

Then, the cavalry arrives..in the form of the Fire Crew, who have Heard the News (doesn't it travel qickly..) I should add that I am already stood there, taking pictures on my phone, asking DC to pose, and he knows instantly this is being captured for my blog, and he growls at me, 'This is no time to be taking pictures..' Oh but it is the perfect time......

There are hundreds of blokies, Site Crew, Fire Crew and assorted hangers on, all laughing and there is Norman F*re striding into action, taking Gold Command, and DC is the centre of attention of it all, and suddenly he is loving it, and it's not so bad after all, and I even get a smile...

Various people stand on a ladder to view the roof, and chins are scratched, more photos taken, and a plan is hatched.

'Right lads' says Gold Command, 'unhitch the caravan, let the tyres down, and get as many people inside as possible, get the suspension down, the rest of us push it out. Everyone in the back of the caravan...'
I see what I have to do. 'Come on boys, into the bedroom, ' I cry, (was I really saying that???) and I lead the Fire Crew and half the site crew into the bed room of the caravan..we get about seven of us on the bed, then there is standing room only...much giggling, and we even bounce a bit on the bed to help...... as we move there is a shoud from outside..'Everyone up the other end..' so we all clamber off the bed and cram into the far end, and the caravan glides out of it's archway prison into the daylight.

Job done, and Norman helps everyone out, counting as we go, and there are about 12 of us counted out the van, me last to appear, straightening my hair, and saying, 'Oooh, I earned 50 quid while I was in there...' (As KR texted later, that sounded a bit cheap...unless it was each...) The job of re-inflating the caravan tyres took about half an hour, so I took the opportunity of going t0o make a cup of tea, and phoning home to tell this week's excuse as to why I might be a little late home......
This isn't funny, stop taking bl**dy pictures...
OK, Site Crew can sort this..no problem...

Mmmm. let Fire Crew take a look....


I can't believe this is happening to me....
Right lads, this is what we need to do....
Yes, job done, and it's lollipops all round....

5 comments:

Kathryn said...

Oh Sally - thank you...your full and frank reportage is much appreciated!
Wish I'd been there (once DC had stopped believing it was All Your Fault). Your public would be hugely disappointed if you hadn't taken photos.
I LOVE that site crew, of course, had the answer to everything. Don't we know some amazing people!

Merlin said...

I tried commenting before but it has been lost (or deleted).

I had heard the rumours, I have been looking forward to the photos, and so worth the wait.

It seems to me that the blame lies at the feet of the person who decided that this was a sensible route. It wasn't necessary!

What makes this the more amusing is that 24 hours earlier ZIppie and I had been sitting outsiode the Arkle bar. A car came past with bikes on the top. As it went past we said "will that get through?" And about 30 seconds later we said, in unison, "no" as we heard a scrunch.

Rainbow dreams said...

lol love the pictures and the story, how lucky to have such helpful site crew on hand too, good to see you back, Katie

Disillusioned said...

great pics and story!


On a disconnected theme, did you know Swarb and Maart are at Hitchen tomorrow, and Chris While next week, and are you going?

1 i z said...

I can only echo the appreciation of other commenters re your tireless journalism in the face of an unappreciative subject.

Similarly I also have to add my voice to the enquiry as to why anyone would try to take a caravan through there, when alternative routes without height restrictions are available in abundance?