Sunday, September 09, 2007

Don't step on them....

Did I mention I was having a shoe party? I had put it off twice because the kitchen wasn't finished, and although last Tuesday this was still the case, I had sent out all the invitations, and decided to go ahead anyway.

Bless him (he does occasionally get something right..) DC happened to be in St Albans, ie not in the wilds of the North as he usually is on a Tuesday, so he offered to come round at 4pm and help me carry the contents of the two tables in the dining room end of the lounge, to somewhere else, so the tables would be clear to display gorgeous shoes and boots.

When I got home from work, he had already arrived and was already making me a cup of tea. He had also bought me some flowers by way of apologising for upsetting me the previous day, and to acknowledge my vulnerable state. My usually empty silent kitchen was full of workmen, as I had had another go at Mick that morning, but actually I was relying on them not being there so I could put all the stuff in there out the way, and also use one side for putting out nibbles and wine, hurriedly bought at M&S.

Not only were the workmen in, but all the appliances had been delivered and were filling the middle of the kitchen, when cupboards still needed painting.

This fact reduced me to tears of frustration (easily done last week) and so DC hugged me, sat me down and gave me the post he had picked up off the mat, and handed me a cup of tea. I burst into tears again, upon opening that police summons for speeding I mentioned...another hug...but I was distraught at the thought of losing my licence and my job...the last straw.

Still, we got on with the job of carrying all the items of a temporary kitchen into the other room, took a while, and then we found a space in the real kitchen for me to put out food and wine. I then dispatched DC back home, and had an hour to myself to play loud music, hoover, dust, tidy, get changed, put out nibbles, and generally be ready for the shoe lady and up to ten guests.

Do you know, it was a brilliant 'girly' evening. After the chaos of our living conditions, since last August, we had had no-one round really, so to see the lounge clean and tidy and welcoming, and have people round was lovely. We all tried on gorgeous boots and shoes..sadly, the high heeled, knee length red suede boots just would not zip up all the way, so I had to abandon them...plumping instead for the little blue ankle boots, which are comfy and brill with jeans....

Everyone chatted and nibbled and sipped wine, and neighbours I hadn't seen since Christmas caught up with gossip...we looked at Laa's wedding pics, and Laa played hostess for me so I could just chat..and try on sexy shoes...

When they had all gone, it took me about two hours to potter and clear up and put everything back, but I was quite happy...until the next day...

No comments: