Sunday, July 31, 2005

Carry on cleaning...

Inspired by the clearing up and throwing out of rubbish from my parents' house, I did a little more in my own home this morning, if only to make room for the stuff I have brought back. I only managed to throw out one big bag's worth, but let's face it, when you're a hoarder, every little helps.

Then we set out in the van to James' flat in Highgate, and he accompanied us to Hilary's new pad in Belsize Park. She has moved into a lovely light attic room at the top of a semi, and up a spiral staircase, and is in need of furniture. My mum had an old cast-iron treddle Singer sewing machine in her bedroom - she used it to make all my clothes when I was little, and pedalled away at great speed to great effect! It is a bit of an antique now, and she left it to James, knowing his interest in furniture. Its home for now is in Hilary's room - good job we could take it to pieces, we would never have got it up the stairs. When in place it looked lovely, and I had to laugh when Hilary announced she would keep her computer on it - so she will be sitting at the sewing machine built for use before electricity, happily e-mailing and surfing the net.... my mum would have found that funny!

No comments: