Sunday, July 31, 2005

Early start..early finish!

Back home in St Albans earlier than expected! I was up at 6am blogging, then got bathed and dressed about 7am, followed by everyone else: Clive was moving and cleaning my dad's metro ready for a photo, Adele and Dave were up a ladder emptying the loft, the skip arrived at 8am, not as big as we expected, and we had filled it by ten past nine! My dad's collapsing wardrobe and chest of drawers were helped to disintegrate a little more..followed by my dad's chair, the one he sat on in the kitchen, which really needed condemning, that went under the sledge hammer and into the skip..what a way to say goodbye....

All my mum and dad's clothes were bagged up and taken to various charity shops, cupboards and drawers emptied..it is scary how a whole lifetime for two people amounts to so little..what is precious to one person is worthless to another..and something that is worthless can mean so much....of course I was the only one to shed tears, everyone looked at me like I was mad, or just embarrassing. Of course I'll bin my parents' belongings if it has to be done, but please expect me to be sad...

2 comments:

Kathryn said...

Oh sweetheart...It DOES hurt,doesn't it ((Sally))but all the really precious things are part of you and your family anyway...(says she, who hoarded an empty tobacco tin for years, simply because it seemed the most concrete expression of my father I could think of...he allowed himself one pipe after supper every day, and in my childhood memories, sitting on his lap while he smoked it was the safest, best place to be in the whole world)
Well done you, for facing such a horrid process xx

1 i z said...

Frankly I find it harder to understand why someone in your situation wouldn't cry.

It must be a heart wrenching thing to have to do.

Hugs from the north.